Friday, April 9, 2010

Knitting with silk and other sensual pleasures


So, for those of you who don't know, I work in a yarn shop, teaching knitting, crochet and selling all manner of fiber accoutrements. I love it. Not just because it's relatively low key and speaks to the underachiever within, but because of everything I see, hear and touch (there's also some tasty moments, but those have more to with lunch than work, and there's not much smell going on in the shop unless some wool got wet). We receive shipments each week of different yarns; basic wools, ready to turn into anything you can imagine, fuzzy mohairs, strong cottons, and silks. Silks that feel like cool, liquid butter moving between your fingertips, silks that smell like a crisp, autumn breeze; last week we received silk. It's always seemed outside of my sphere of creation, silk. It's cool when I want warm, it's delicate when I want sturdy, it's luxurious; and what would I do with luxury?
I bought it, that's what I did. I had to have those colors in my possession; creamy orange and all colors of the sunrise; I deserved this silk. So, that got me thinking; had I always avoided silk before because I thought I didn't deserve it, and what else am I missing out on simply because I thought I didn't deserve it? Heavy thoughts for so small a purchase. Knitting with this yarn has been somewhat cathartic, for me. Every yarn that passes through my fingers and onto my needles is appreciated, but this one made me think, and now I'm dumping old ideas. Although the fanciest places I tend to go on any regular basis are coffee houses, and my critters are the only ones critiquing my style; I deserve a little fancy. I deserve a little soft, delicate, slinky; after all, this life is not all about the utilitarian. And with this in mind, I spent my time on a recent trip watching the wind in the trees, wondering how it felt; noticing every shade of gray through indigo in the clouds... It was decadent. And now I feel like everyday I deserve a little of that luxury, I deserve a little moment to savor my senses and feel everything. While it is easy to feel that I am undeserving of such decadence; I am going to allow myself to experience these things because I can. So, what do you deserve? Maybe you should go out and get what you thought you never deserved, or at least give it a good try (unless you're one who has impulse control issues, etc).

1 comment: